Saturday, November 1, 2008

Speak Chinese - skewer in China - Page 2 -








> Chinese Culture > Food
skewer in China
Home New Posts

Login: Pass: Log in or register for standard view and full access.





Page 2 of 2 < 1 2






Ari 桑 -

羊肉串=爱



Pleco Software Learn Chinese with our Dictionaries for Palm and Pocket PC.
Learn Chinese in China Learn to speak Chinese 1MonthChinese.com -Mandarin School in China.
Chinese Textbooks Wide range, cheap, varied languages. Also Chinese cartoons, toys, gifts.
Study Chinese in Beijing Affordable Mandarin language courses at BLCU with ChinaUnipath.com.
HNHSoft Dictionary Learn Chinese on Smartphone and PDA with real person's voice.
XueXueXue IQChinese Get beyond the plateau.Take your Mandarin to a new level.
Chinese in Lijiang Short term Chinese study in a beautiful town with a focus on daily life.
MandarinTube Chinese Access to current everyday Chinese language and culture, 24/7.
Learn Chinese Homestay Chinese course, cultural activities & volunteer events in China.
Learn Chinese Online 1-on-1 instant tutoring, diverse courses, native teachers. FREE trial now!
Nihao Chinese Progam Free one-on-one Chinese lesson. Win 5-years of free lessons now!


About Ads (and how to hide them) -- Your message here









yonglin -



Quote:

I hate how the local 牛排 places here think that "medium-rare" means: cold and RAW in the
middle. It's so gross!

How did you communicate "medium-rare"? Here in Xi'an at least, steak is fried on a scale between
one and ten. This is actually a lot more nuanced than back in the west. Back home, I once tried to
order a steak "between medium-rare and medium" and the guy looked at be as if I were crazy before
proclaiming that frying the steak as such would be impossible by all means. Here in Xi'an, a five
would give you a good medium rare.










cdn_in_bj -

Yes, I believe it is around a 5 or 6 here.

My dissatisfaction with the experience was with the fact that the steak was cold and uncooked in
the middle. I couldn't eat it and asked them to cook it to an 8.










Rincewind -

In the UK the Chinese restaurants serve skewers of chicken marinated in soy sauce and a little
sugar. These are then served with a sauce made form peanuts. It's known as Chicken Satay. I
haven't seen anything like this in china yet.

With regards to kebabs in the west, they form a very popular part of the UK culture. A large range
of spices, flavours and sizes are available. Probably the most popular is the doner kebab. A large
block of lamb about 1m long and 30cm thick which is slowly grilled and cut into thin strips as it
cooks. Served with a chili sauce. The second most popular would be Chicken tikka. This is
marinated in yogurt with heavy spices such as chili, cumin and coriander. Either red die or
turmeric gives the dish a characteristically strong colour. It's then grilled and either served on
it's own or with a curry sauce of many varieties. I went to a Muslim BBQ here in china on Tuesday
and was served large chicken skewers that were quite similar to chicken tikka.

As for steaks. Usually I don't have a problem ordering them here, but last Wednesday I did. I
ordered at a restaurant that I frequent. When it arrived it looked fine on the outside but the
inside was as rare as it could possibly be. On the 1-10 scale this was a 0. I ate it just to see
what all the fuss was about with rare steaks. Don't get it myself. I prefer them medium to well
done.










jonaspony -

In China, I first lived in Xinjiang. There the 羊肉串,or simply 烤肉,was served on wire
skewers which looked like straightened coat hangers. The chunks of meat were larger and therefore
more tender, and they were usually sold in lots of ten. Order one or two and they will
more-than-likely cook ten or twenty for you. Outside Xinjiang I have never been impressed with the
flavour.

As for injuries, my girlfriend scored a skewer through the foot the other day. Nasty.
I also noticed that many, if not most, people in Xinjiang have a V-shaped groove in their front
teeth. Could be from fish bones, but I think the Chuan must be to blame for much of the damage -
the skewers are metal, and quite long. But people don't tend to walk around with the skewers in
hand because they are returned and reused. Of course, the tradition is to sit with friends and
drink beer, cold or room temperature depending on the weather and your taste (I like the 常温的
myself).

A friend who likes to cook his own chuan says the secret is in buying poor quality lamb! You need
real mutton. That's difficult to say find in Australia (and I presume also in Brazil). I have
found the lumps of fat essential to the cooking, but not to the eating - many folks just discard
them.

Thinking about this now, it all sounds pretty disgusting. I have to admit, I like roadside fare. I
prefer to see the conditions under which something is cooked. Better the devil you can see than
the devil that works in the back room kichen.










liuzhou -



Quote:

In the UK the Chinese restaurants serve skewers of chicken marinated in soy sauce and a little
sugar. These are then served with a sauce made form peanuts. It's known as Chicken Satay. I
haven't seen anything like this in china yet.

That would be because Satay isn't Chinese, but SE Asian - Malaysia, Indonesia area.










imron -



Quote:

I also noticed that many, if not most, people in Xinjiang have a V-shaped groove in their front
teeth

I've noticed this all over the place in China. My personal theory so far is that it's gradual
erosion caused by the cracking of thousands of sunflower seeds










jonaspony -

Yeah, thanks for reminding me Imron... Those sunflower seeds must contribute to a lot of it. I am
glad to see someone else has noticed. It's kinda cute I think.












All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:28 PM.














Learn Chinese, Learn Mandarin online, Learning Materials, Mandarin audio lessons, Chinese writing lessons, Chinese vocabulary lists, About chinese characters, News in Chinese, Go to China, Travel to China, Study in China, Teach in China, Dictionaries, Learn Chinese Painting, Your name in Chinese, Chinese calligraphy, Chinese songs, Chinese proverbs, Chinese poetry, Chinese tattoo, Beijing 2008 Olympics, Mandarin Phrasebook, Chinese editor, Pinyin editor, China Travel, Travel to Beijing,

No comments: