Thursday, November 6, 2008

Learn mandarin - HELP NEEDED!!! nobody seems to speak english in Tsinghua University -








> Studying, Working and Living in China > Universities and Schools > Studying
Chinese in Beijing
HELP NEEDED!!! nobody seems to speak english in Tsinghua University
Home New Posts

Login: Pass: Log in or register for standard view and full access.








Andy^| -

Hi everyone!
My name is Andrew and I live in Sweden.
I am going to be taking the introductory mandarin course at Tsinghua University this coming
semester but there is one problem. I need to get a special form signed by either my teacher or
someone that has the authority to sign these kind of things for foreign students, and I need this
form signed and sent in to the swedish department of education before I leave Sweden.

I've tried calling them but nobody seems to speak any english at all and my mandarin is horrible
(thats why I am taking the introductory course).
I've already tried calling the number I was given in my acceptance letter and the guy there didn't
speak any english at all.

So I am kinda clueless on what to do or where to turn :\

PLEASE HELP!!!



Pleco Software Learn Chinese with our Dictionaries for Palm and Pocket PC.
Learn Chinese in China Learn to speak Chinese 1MonthChinese.com -Mandarin School in China.
Chinese Textbooks Wide range, cheap, varied languages. Also Chinese cartoons, toys, gifts.
Study Chinese in Beijing Affordable Mandarin language courses at BLCU with ChinaUnipath.com.
HNHSoft Dictionary Learn Chinese on Smartphone and PDA with real person's voice.
XueXueXue IQChinese Get beyond the plateau.Take your Mandarin to a new level.
Chinese in Lijiang Short term Chinese study in a beautiful town with a focus on daily life.
MandarinTube Chinese Access to current everyday Chinese language and culture, 24/7.
Learn Chinese Homestay Chinese course, cultural activities & volunteer events in China.
Learn Chinese Online 1-on-1 instant tutoring, diverse courses, native teachers. FREE trial now!
Nihao Chinese Progam Free one-on-one Chinese lesson. Win 5-years of free lessons now!


About Ads (and how to hide them) -- Your message here









yonglin -

I'm Swedish and very curious about what kind of form it is: does it have to do with getting your
credits counted for a degree or something, or is it for CSN?

It'll be super-easy to fix once you get there: walk into the office for foreign students and
they'll give you all sorts of signatures, red stamps or whatever you could need. How come it is so
urgent?










mandarinboy -

You can try to let a Chinese person do the call for you. If you mail me, I can help you. I'm not
really sure what sort of paper you are looking for. I am also Swedish and have been studying in
China but I can´t really recall this sort of paper. You do need your acceptance documents to send
to CSN but that is it. Look at it from the bright side, maybe your teacher don´t know any English
either;-) When I where in Beijing at ligong daxue that happened to me. Not fun for the first
couple of month until my Chinese where good enough to understand my teachers. ( yes, I am older so
nowadays they do actually understand English). By the way, you are aware that you need to have
been studying at least one semester Chinese before you can get CSN support for overseas study in
Chinese?( if they haven't changed that recently)

To be honest, very often the staff at the principals office do not speak much english. Teachers
and others on the other hand are usualy fluent in English nowadays.










Andy^| -

it's an piece of paper for CSN
I didn't type that at first since I'm pretty sure that only people in Sweden knows what that is.

CSN told me they needed this paper signed because otherwise they cannot approve of my studies in
Tsinghua University and then they won't be able to give me my studiebidrag so thats why I would
need this sent in to CSN before I leave.
they told me that it will take at least a month for them to check everything.










ChineseSpeaker -

The guy who answer your phone maybe university officials or working stuff. As I know those guys
can do nothing but speak dialect Chinese. But you don't need to worry for your life in China. Now
there are many people who can speak English, especially in big cites, such as Beijing and Shanghai










applepie42 -

Andy,
Have you tried emailing them? I've been getting good responses from them via email (in English).
You can try emailing the Foreign Student Office: lxsb@mail.tsinghua.edu.cn.

Good Luck!

Applepie










ChineseSpeaker -

Applepie is correct. Since China English education is test-oriented, so many can read English
while can not write English, can speak English but can not listen English.

The guys may be able to speak English, but they can not understand you










Andy^| -

Thank you all for the helpful information and the offers to help me!
but I think I got the problem solved.

once again thanks for the help ^^










Isabela -

I'm also going there this fall, and called them a couple of times. The few people I talked to were
able to speak and understand english. I called asking questions about how to send money for the
deposit - the lady told me not to send cash and to make a wire transfer but never gave me the bank
account info/ switch code number, so i had to google it I don't know if they associated the
deposit with my application, I sent a couple of emails, but didn't get any replies, and about 3
months later I got an acceptance letter!












All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:07 PM.














Learn Chinese, Learning Mandarin, Learning Materials, Mandarin audio lessons, Chinese writing lessons, Chinese vocabulary lists, About chinese characters, News in Chinese, Go to China, Travel to China, Study in China, Teach in China, Dictionaries, Learn Chinese Painting, Your name in Chinese, Chinese calligraphy, Chinese songs, Chinese proverbs, Chinese poetry, Chinese tattoo, Beijing 2008 Olympics, Mandarin Phrasebook, Chinese editor, Pinyin editor, China Travel, Travel to Beijing, Travel to Tibet

No comments: